Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, June 24, 2011

My Dad

Things I learned from my dad

  1. Standing up for what you believe in is a good thing and even a required thing
  2. Back yourself up with knowledge
  3. To work hard and play hard
  4. Family comes first – always take time to spend with them
  5. To ski – down black diamonds when I was 4, to follow him down even the scariest runs on the Colorado Mountains. It was work it because now, not to brag, I’m an awesome skier
  6. To appreciate the knowledge that is available to you – learn as much as you can
  7. Be involved in church – pour into peoples lives
  8. If you can do it yourself – do it! Why pay someone?
  9. How to drive a car – defensive driving
  10. How to pack anything into a car – I’m pretty positive I can pack an entire house in my Honda
  11. How to toast the perfect marshmallow - golden brown on all sides, completely melted in the middle... it's all about the embers
  12. Be up-to-date in the happenings around the world – listen and learn how things work in politics, government, and the workings of the world
  13. How to wakeboard… not that I want to do it anymore – I can but I’m not a fan of water in the nose
  14. To listen to Rush – he knows what he is talking about

My mom and I have an incredible relationship – she is an amazing woman and incredible woman but I am more like my dad in many ways. I have that Thurman streak in me – it’s a good and bad thing! Haha We certainly like to stand up to the wrongs in the world, to try and inform people that they are wrong (sometimes not in the best fashion), but we care and want others to care too.

My dad has been involved in every aspect of my life growing up – he was a Sunday school teacher, an Awana leader, a youth leader, Camp leader, bus driver. My dad has a heart for youth – he loves being in their lives and being parent to kids who are not so blessed. You know you have an awesome dad when the kids at youth call him dad too.

Riding horses with my dad is one of my favorite memories with him. We had many grad adventures with our horses Harley, Tiny, and Zeke. That was valuable time that was spent just my dad, the horses, the great Colorado outdoors, and me. I have never doubted my dad’s love for me – he was always been there for my family and me. Most dads are working constantly coming home after dinner and leaving early in the morning. But I have very few memories of my dad not being home – he valued us – he loved us – he wanted to be there for the tea parties, the birthdays, the dinners, playtime in the backyard, bike rides at Clemet Park, and many, many awesome vacations and camping trips… he was there and I love him for that.

My dad was my provider, friend, protector, and teacher. He loved me at every turn. Every little girl should be so blessed.

So Happy Belated Fathers Day Dad! My moments with you have added many pearls to my sting. Thank you for the countless sacrifices, the unconditional love, and your presence in my life. I love you so much!





1 comment:

Your Pearls